When to see a doctor?

A need for a headache assessment exists in particular if one or more of the following statements apply to you:

  • I suddenly suffer from a yet unknown severe headache:
    Completely novel and severe headaches must be examined by a doctor, because the cause may be of serious nature such as a tumour or a cerebral haemorrhage. In the case of a cerebral haemorrhage, for example, self-treatment could be fatal, as certain drugs have a blood-thinning effect.
  • My headache is suddenly much worse and more frequent:
    You should also see a doctor if a known pain suddenly becomes much worse or more frequent or if new symptoms are added, e.g. neurological deficits, dizziness, fever, high blood pressure etc.
  • I suffer from headaches despite taking daily medication:
    A specialist should be consulted if the headache does not improve despite daily medication.
  • Migraines and headaches hinder my everyday and working life:
    If regular migraines and headaches restrict one’s private and professional life, a visit to the clinical specialist is recommended.
  • I am worried about my migraines and headaches:
    A visiting a clinical specialist is also advisable if you are worried. At times, there can be serious causes triggering a headache, which need further examination from a doctor.
  • I have never heard of triptans or migraine antibodies
    If you suffer from severe migraines and headaches with yet no successful treatment, triptans or migraine antibodies should at least be discussed as an alternative treatment- method. A neurologist and headache specialist should be consulted for treatment advise and prescription.